Are you an athlete in Canada that is dealing with an athletic injury? Are you curious about how an athletic therapist can help you with your injury or how to go about finding one? If the answer to any of the questions asked above is yes, then this is the right article for you to read. It’s essential for you to pay attention as we will be discussing all the details of Athletic Therapy in Canada.
Athletic Therapist In Canada: What Is Athletic Therapy?
Athletic therapy is a profession in the healthcare system that specializes in assessing and taking care of disorders of the muscles, bones, and joints in athletes (or people who tend to be involved in a lot of physical activities). The profession also deals with injuries that occur as a result of involvement in sporting or rigorous physical activities. The American version is called an athletic trainer.
Athletic Therapist In Canada: Who Is Qualified to be an Athletic Therapist?
The Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA) oversees the practice of Athletic Therapy in Canada. They have described a qualified Athletic Therapist as someone who in addition to having a Bachelor’s degree has undergone training in a CATA-accredited center in Canada and has passed a licensing examination.
It doesn’t stop with licensing. A qualified Athletic Therapist is one who continues to update his/her knowledge base in the best and current practicing standards of Athletic Therapy to ensure that they can care properly and efficiently for the athlete who they are in charge of.
What Are The Primary Functions Of A Certified Athletic Therapist?
- Athletic Therapists assess the injuries of the athletes under their care.
- They provide First Aid and emergency treatment to athletes.
- They are trained to provide necessary emergency life support to an athlete in an emergency situation that requires urgent medical treatment.
- Athletic Therapists participate in the rehabilitation of an athlete following injury and ensure a safe return of the athlete back to the sport.
Athletic Therapist In Canada: What Are The Core Principles Of Athletic Therapy?
The foundational principles behind the practice of Athletic Therapy are listed below:
- Manual therapy techniques
- Assessment of concussion and the management.
- Management of injury in the field of play.
- Advanced assessment and rehabilitation of athletes.
Who Are The Athletes That Commonly Require The Services Of An Athletic Therapist?
If you play a sport that requires you to jump, run or leap, you might need the services of an athletic therapist. The professional treats all injuries and pain that you may experience from participating in many kinds of sports.
Some of the sports include:
- Road running
- Race walking
- Mountain climbing
- Track and Field
- and many more sports
What Are The Important Qualities To Look for In Therapist?
As an athlete, it is important to look out for the following qualities in an Athletic Therapist as the possession of these qualities contribute to the overall health, training, and recovery of an athlete.
Some Qualities of a Great Athletic Therapist Consist of:
- Ethical behavior
- Good communication skills
- Good clinical knowledge
- Ability to work in a team etc.
- Understanding of athletic injuries
- In-depth knowledge of sport you play
- Excellent athletic taping skills
How to Find The Best Athletic Therapist Near You?
Kho Health is the best place to find great healthcare providers for sports medicine injuries. Kho health will allow you to search by therapist type which in this case is an athletic therapist. Location, and also skill in case you want an athletic therapist that knows a skill like fascial stretch therapy or Graston for example. Kho Health makes it easy to compare healthcare providers by using the Kho Number.