Are you a fan of Kho Kho? If you’ll like to know more about this sport, this article will help you do just that. We will be educating you on this unique game – how to play it, the common Kho Kho Injuries sustained from playing and how to go about treating them.
What Is Kho Kho All About?
Kho Kho is a traditional tag sport that is popular in India. The origin of the game is a little bit unclear although there are historians who believe that it has roots in Maharashtra, India. The game requires physical strength and stamina in order to be successful. You need an open space and players who are willing to follow the rules of the game so that it will be fun for everyone.
What Do You Need To Play The Game?
- Open space which is traditionally 27 meters by 15 meters.
- A chalk which you will use to map or mark the playing area.
- Two poles that are around the shoulder height of the average player.
How Is Kho Kho Played?
- Each team consists of 12 players although only 9 players take the field at a time for the contest
- Map out the playing area with a chalk and divide the playing space into two equal halves
- Put a pole at the end of the line dividing the playing space centrally
- One team is known as the chasers while the other team is known as the defenders
- The chasers and the defenders get to swap roles after a period of time
- Chasers can only chase on the side of the playing field that they are facing
- Defenders enter the field in a group of 3 and they need to totally avoid being tagged by the chasers. The moment they get tagged, they are out of the game.
- There are a lot of other rules and maneuvers involved when playing Kho Kho but the aim of the game is for the chasers to tag the defenders as quickly as possible. Whosoever does it in the fastest time possible wins the game
Are There Any Benefits From Playing Kho Kho?
Yes, there are! Here are a few:
- The game stimulates the imagination of the players and helps them to learn how to solve problems very quickly
- Kho Kho keeps all the players fit and active
- The team-based approach of the game helps the players to develop empathy and trust
- Playing Kho Kho like some other stamina demanding games triggers the release of endorphins or ‘feel-good’ hormones which help to prevent anxiety and reduce stress.
What Are The Common Kho Kho Injuries That Affect Players?
Although there are a lot of reasons why Kho Kho is beneficial to you, there is also a risk of injury. The following are common Kho Kho Injuries that you can sustain while playing:
- Knee joint injury
- Ankle injury
- Injury to the skull
Kho Kho Injuries: What To Do After Sustaining An Injury?
First Aid should be applied, then, a Doctor should be called in to examine the injury and tell you your treatment options. Kho Health is a great resource for finding healthcare providers but also for free information on sports medicine.