Been hitting your push-ups a lot lately? You may need to get in some tricep stretches to help prevent soreness and reduce the tension of the muscles. The triceps are not the most comfortable muscles to stretch them and understanding the muscles fascial connections can be hard to understand. Specific muscles need to be stretched for the triceps to be stretched expertly.
What is The Cause of Tight Triceps
Tight triceps are often from working them hard in the gym and or repetitive sports motions. Motions that depend on triceps include:
- Blocking in Football
When the triceps muscles are worked regularly, they can start to gain mass which will make them tighter. Use of the triceps can also produce trigger points that create knots and additional tension. After a while, if this tension is not reduced the muscle can be at a greater risk of injury.
Tricep Stretches You Can Do
Latissimus Dorsi Stretch
- The lats are the most important muscles to work on when wanting to relieve tension in the triceps
- The triceps and the lats are connected fascially
- The key to this stretch is to let the hand get as far away from the body as possible
- Put force through hand into the ground
- Will stretch lats, obliques, hips to help relieve tension on the triceps
- Great way to stretch the triceps without tricep stretches
- Get as close to wall or pole as possible
- Rest tricep flat on the wall
- Put hand in the middle of the back
- Flex elbow more to increase the stretch
- Will stretch the lats and the triceps together
- The last area that can inhibit the tricep is the shoulder muscles
- Key for this stretch is not to let the arm get to high
- Keep palm flat at all times for fascial reasons
What if The Tricep Stretches Are Not Working?
You can’t fix a tricep problem overnight. You did not create the issue in a day so it will also not be set in a day. You’ll need to do these stretches daily for at least a week to start noticing a big difference. If you are incredibly tight, it may take even longer with the tricep stretches.
In some cases, stretching will not be enough, and you will need the help of a professional. You do not want to go to a typical medical doctor because this is a musculoskeletal injury so they will not be the most effective in helping you. You need to see people that specialize in muscle issues and preferably work with athletes on a regular basis. The best way to get your triceps feeling good again is with the help of a sports medicine provider like the ones below.
Providers That Can Help Triceps
- Physical Therapist
- Registered Dietitian
- Sports Physician
- Massage Therapist
- Holistic Healthcare providers
How to Find The Best Healthcare Providers for Tricep Pain
Kho Health is the best way to find local providers that can help you with your triceps and any other pain points. The reason is that Kho Health lets you search for healthcare providers based on the type of practitioner as well as a skill set. Let’s say you want to work with a physical therapist, but you also want someone who has fascial stretching abilities, you can find the best local options on Kho Health. You can then sift through the different options and compare Kho Numbers before making a choice.